Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In which I my house smells like garlic and I love it

Well, carb free week is going very well for me. Tragedy of my life, I did not actually lose 5lbs on day one as my scale is a liar and hates me. I have, however, lost 2 lbs and am hoping to finally get under that one number I have been fighting with for the last few months. Here's hopin.

Anyways, I have been on a food mission this week to make tasty things for my husband, sans the starch and carbs. Which he loves as much as I do. I may or may not (often) complain about how Michael is a mildly picky eater (its really not as bad as I make it out to be) and so I do not get to eat all the things I would like to. Like tomatoes. It's highly improbable you will ever find a recipe on this blog that has the main ingredient of tomatoes as Michael simply cannot abide them. People often suggest, post my ranting, that I should make him one thing and myself another and then wouldn't we both just be so happy! Well no, no I would not. I am the one that does the cooking and I simply do not have the time or patience for making different things. Also, who wants to wash all those dishes? Ew. So, I always try to meet in the middle of what we both like in order for us to be both be equally satisfied with our dinner.

I was a leeeetle bit nervous for this meal, because I decided to make mashed cauliflower. Also I made a porterhouse steak with an apple-spice rub and steamed green beans with white roasted garlic/thyme sauce - but I was nervous he would stick his nose up at the cauliflower. However! - he actually seemed to enjoy it, which in turn made me quite pleased with myself. I'm sure I would hear it if I started making it for him every day, but I think I could give it to him a few times a year with no complaints.

I browsed around the intrawebs looking for a mashed cauliflower recipe, but didn't really like much of what I found. Most of them added potatoes (which I will do when I get back on the carb wagon) or other odd ingredients I would never add. So, I came up with my own version.

I put a head of cauliflower (green stems and leaves removed) in a pot, covered it to boiling, then let it boil a couple minutes until it was soft and felt like it would mush under a fork.


Drained, then cut up and put into a pot. I mashed it with a potato masher and slowly added sour cream, butter, salt/pepper, and a little grated cheese until I liked the way it tasted. It certainly wasn't smooth like mashed potatoes would be, but I bet if I hadn't been all "wah, I don't want to wash my food processer" and put it in that baby really quick, it would have been smooth.

About an hour before I started cooking, I roasted some garlic - one head, with a little drizze of EVVO and a pinch of salt in the oven at 350 for an hour. I LOVE the way this makes my house smell!

You should probably wait to get all that yummy roasted garlic out until its cooled off. Or you will end up with burned, impatient fingers, like moi. So once it has actually cooled, you can cut the outer shell off with a knife. Then...I just put it on a plate and start mashing with a fork, pulling out all the shell pieces out when I'm done. It's totally possible there is a much easier way to do this, but I don't know it. I put about 1/3 of the mashed garlic in a pan for my green bean sauce:

Added a few globs of I CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER!, some fresh thyme, and a few sprinkles of salt (what would of one of my dishes be like if I didn't say "add salt"?)
Cook until the butter melts and it starts simmering, then add some cream
Then continue to stir as it reduces until it's the consistency you want.
Voila! It was a simply lovely meal, and we were both full at the end of it. Whoever said carb-less meals don't fill you up obviously never had anything cooked by ME.

Mashed Cauliflower
Ingredients
-1 head of cauliflower
-Light Sour Cream
-Butter
-Salt
-Grated cheddar cheese and/or parmesan cheese

Directions
-Remove green stems/leaves from the cauliflower. Fill a pot with enough water to just cover the cauliflower. Bring the water to a boil and allow to boil until soft.
-Drain, and remove any remaining stems. Mash (or whip in the food processer!) with sour cream/butter/salt/cheese until you like it.

*If you don't like any of the things I put in mine, do whatever you want! You could really add any kind of flavors to this to go with whatever you are eating. Cauliflower has almost no taste, so you could make it into whatever you want.

Garlic Thyme White Sauce
Ingredients
- Roasted mashed garlic (or finely chopped raw, if that's what you have)
- 1-2 T fresh thyme
- 2-3 T butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 C light cream

Directions
- Add the butter, thyme, garlic and salt to a pan and cook over medium low heat until butter is melted.
- Bring the heat up to medium high and slowly pour in the cream. Continue to stir for 5-7 mins, or until reduced to the consistency you want.

*It's very important you keep stirring and don't walk away. If you do walk away, your sauce will most certainly burn and then you will have to eat plain vegetables. And who wants to do that?


1 comment:

Jill said...

That looks amazing! I will have to have my husband make it for me! (I do not cook...lol) Found you through Blog Hop Thursday. Following along, hoping you will follow me too!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

http://jill-createcraftlove.blogspot.com