Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I make some quick delights

Last week, I had two mangos, an avocado, and some cilantro all about to go bad so I whipped up some quick salsa!
Mango Avocado Salsa
Ingredients
2 mangos
1 avocado
1/4 fine chopped cilantro
Juice from half a lime (or more, if you like)
2T olive oil
Pinches of salt

Directions
Mix it together and eat it!

One of my favorite places to shop is called Produce Junction - everyone else who does not live in my general vicinity is jealous without knowing it, since this is the greatest place ever. PJ sells produce in bulk quantities at pretty much 1/2 the cost of any grocery store. The only drawback is that everything comes in large quantities, so you need to come up with ways to eat all of that healthy food (tragedy, I know). So, I had a giant bag of broccoli florets ($2, no big deal) in my fridge and made some broccoli salad. I found this recipe last summer and it is so.good.
Best Broccoli Salad Ever
Ingredients
1 head fresh chopped broccoli
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
2 T white sugar
3 T white wine vinegar
1 cup Mayonnaise
Chopped bacon or bacon bits (optional)

Directions
-You can really make this with just broccoli, but adding some onions and/or raisins and/or bacon definitely turns it up a notch!
-Mix the sugar, vinegar, and mayo in a bowl
-Add broccoli/raisins/onions/bacon
-Refrigerate a few hours before serving - always better if it can sit overnight
-Enjoy!

No comments: