Tuesday, January 17, 2012

In which my kitchen gets prettified!

Thank you, Martin Luther King Junior, for being a wonderful man and in turn giving me the day off! I spent my three day weekend covered in paint and turn my sad kitchen upside down. I did this with gusto and excitement - well, except for the part where I made the paint guy mix three cans of different yellow paint and just kept saying, "I hate it, I hate it so much. It looks like Sesame Street, I hate it so much." I am, however, very happy with the paint color I ended up going with, even though I was greatly questioning my taste as I was slathering it all over the walls.

First, of course, I took off all the cabinet doors. Everything ever done in this house is so half-assed, Michael and I simply cannot abide it and so we must do everything, well, fully-assed. Hinges and handles went straight to the trash, as they were black and ew. I covered everything in my cupboards in plastic bags so I didn't have to pull everything out for the painting. I'm brilliant, obviously.
I had to prime the cabinets and the cabinet doors and then give them all two coats of paint. The doors were the worst, since it was 32 degrees outside. I spent 2 hours priming them in the driveway and then decided to finish painting them inside, laid out on sheets in my dining room. It was annoying, but much better than freezing off my lil fingers and toes over it. I pulled down my spice rack and painted it white as well.
How icky was this!
Annnnnd, voila! Please note Michael's artsy way of hanging the door handles. Unfortunately, once he got to the lower cabinets he realized he couldn't make all of them that way because of the way the cabinets are built. Alas our life. I also painted all the trim around the walls, windows, and doors so that would everything would be nice and sprucey together.
Please note my lovely updated spice rack! And yes, a blank wall that still requires some decorating.
I painted the book shelf (not currently being used as such, of course) as well. This shelf is from Ikea and has been with me since senior year of college. My dad has "re-stabilized" it several times over the years but it has proverbially stuck with me through thick and thin. As I painted it I was shocked to realize that I have had it for 7 years and never once thought to change its color up. There's a first time for everything I guess.
Upon painting everything stark, fresh, white - the refrigerator looks like it belongs on the curb. I am going to get some appliance paint next week and freshen it up as well. And yes, I put EAT on the wall. I know everyone else is doing it, but I can't help it - I love the idea and am not ashamed to keep up with the Jones'.

Next project: Repainting the black bathroom. Yes, it is black.


3 comments:

Mary said...

It looks wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that.You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Julia "Q"-lia. said...

Sarah: Forget the kitchen (although I am highly dissapointed I didn't wait to see it in person because you did an AMAZING job) this blog is so professional looking!!!!!!! I love it, and will stalk it to my heart's content.

Alex Curtis said...

Looks great guys!! I can't believe I read the whole blog. It was my first blog ever. Nicely done I might say. Grunt grunt